Sunday 16 September 2007

To disclose or not to disclose?

I have been thinking on this every since the diagnosis! Who do you tell?

The first people we told were parents and our closest friends. The people that mattered most to us. The reactions, as anticipated were positive and supportive.

But what about anyone else? Should we tell our employer? We are not in an industry where our Status affects our day to day duties. We are pretty much "office monkeys" with perhaps the greatest danger being the odd stray staple or renegade paper clip! Joking aside though, this is a point that is playing on my mind.

There are a 101 reasons not to tell anyone other than those close to you, equally there are serious considerations to disclosing your status to other outside the 'inner circle'. I guess at the moment I am pretty much covered as I have a credible cover story for my frequent trips to the Clinic but what if I become ill and then the illness becomes more frequent requiring more and more time off work? Here in the UK at least we are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) but in order to be afforded this protection you need to have disclosed your Status! Rock and a hard place springs to mind, but it is still early days I guess!

I think as I learn more about my condition and gain a greater understanding of it's implications the the matter of disclosure will become an easier one.

Until then it will just be our little secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment